10.24.2013

Favorite Movies


Rom-com endings usually involve someone catching a flight or a train ride with a lot of chasing and weaving into a bustling crowd that ends into public declarations of love sealed with a kiss. I remember ranting to a friend on the lack of originality on the spate of Hollywood rom-com endings that I've watched several times with me hitting fast forward on the closing scenes having enough of the mush as I roll the bitter taste of reality out of my tongue.




Roman Holiday is my favorite among Hepburn's film because of its bittersweet ending. A movie does not necessarily need to have the characters end up together to produce a happy ending. The opposite of the viewers expectation and the slight twang of disappointment filled with a sucker punch of reality making it charmingly it perfect. 

Midnight in Paris is just like the whiff and tang of cigar, the fizzles and clinks of champagne bottle as the movie opens on a beautiful montage of Paris. I have always thought of Paris as the cliched city of love but the movie sets the scene with its charm and warm cinematography that gives a decadent and romanticized feeling.  Midnight in Paris is my first Woody Allen film followed by To Rome with Love. I can't wait to watch his next film Magic in the Moonlight this 2014 starring my favorite actress Emma Stone. 


The clock strikes midnight a vintage Peugeot swoops Gil to 1920's Paris in magic realism.

"Nostalgia is denial - denial of the painful present... the name for this denial is golden age thinking - the erroneous notion that a different time period is better than the one ones living in - its a flaw in the romantic imagination of those people who find it difficult to cope with the present."

Perhaps we are all stuck in the Golden Age Syndrome.






No comments:

Post a Comment

_____________________________

CURRENTLY READING

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

goodreads.com
christineisen